Sunday, July 7, 2013

God's beauty


"For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through him and for him. And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together." Colossians 1: 16-17

When I look at my hostas I think of this verse. God made all thing to proclaim His glory. They are so lush and beautiful. It has rained a lot lately and they have flourished. The purple flowers are just beautiful as they dance in the wind. One thing I miss dearly about Cushing is my flowers. We had seven flower beds around the house and pool that were a lot of work but I sure loved tending them and seeing them grow so beautifully throughout the summer. We decided not to buy flowers this year while we are still waiting on a buyer for our home in Cushing. I know this is a little thing but I have struggled in it. I really loved taking care of my flowers every day. I spent a lot of time weeding and watering especially in the hot, hot Oklahoma sun. It was so rewarding when they flourished and were just a delight to behold every morning. The Lord has given us a little bit different of a garden this year. He has placed us right where He wants to use us in Morehead and I am humbled to see His hand in so many ways. He took us out of a dry and barren land in Cushing and has placed us in a lush and thriving land that is hungering and thirsting for His word. He has placed us in a body of believers that are growing and committed to seeking and serving together. For this I feel greatly humbled. Last night we had our first function as a discipleship group to build unity. We had 11 show up to fellowship and play Bunko. It really was a great time and we can plainly see that our group is growing together as one. This morning we met in our new room. We have outgrown a room already and now have new larger room and a permanent place to grow, learn and share life together. I know that we should not see progress in numbers but we were so encouraged to see 17 come again this morning. 3 of those were new visitors. I found myself wanting to cry as I looked around the room this morning. When I see this new group of believers that we are with now in Morehead at times my heart still sees and longs to be with some of those in the group in Cushing that we were growing in the Lord with there. I long for them to know, understand and grasp the fullness and greatness of a committed body of believers making disciples for Jesus. I long for them to grow and flourish in their walk with the Lord. It is very much like how I miss and long to water my old flowerbeds back in Cushing. The Lord reminded me today that my flowers are here in Morehead now. We are to tend and feed the garden of believers He has placed us in here. I have the hymn Trust and Obey on my heart today. There truly is no other way to be happy in Jesus but to trust and obey.
When we walk with the Lord in the light of His Word,
What a glory He sheds on our way!
While we do His good will, He abides with us still,
And with all who will trust and obey. 

Trust and obey, for there’s no other way
To be happy in Jesus, but to trust and obey.

We will do His good will for He alone is worthy! What a great joy it is to see where the Lord is working and join Him when He calls you to obey. He filled me with joy this morning as I listened to my husband teach about Ephesians 2:1-10 during class. The gospel. Who we are as man. Hopeless without Christ and God's amazing grace. Despite what we deserve God offers us the gift of grace but only though the blood of Jesus can we receive it. Undeserved kindness and mercy. Nothing we can do by works of good acts. Amazing Grace indeed! He filled me with wonder this morning as I watched one of our new visitors to our class this morning surrender his life to the Lord during church before the sermon even started. What a joy it is to see the Holy Spirit move as he pursues and draws men to Jesus! God's beauty in creation and redemption in Christ is amazing! He filled me with great humbleness this morning as he whispered to my heart, "I have you in the garden I desire for you to grow, tend and feed." For this season we are here right where He wants us pressing on to proclaim His glory just like the beautiful bed of hostas in our new backyard.   

No comments: