Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Amazing Grace for Ms. Shala

We learned the song Amazing Grace today. Ms. Denice told us that her mom, Ms. Shala, loved the song Amazing Grace. Today we are celebrating Ms. Shala. We learned all about the song. We learned about John Newton who wrote it and his life. We learned why he wrote it. I played the hymn version for them and the new version by Chris Tomlin and gave them the choice of which one they wanted to learn how to sing. They decided they liked the new version best so we went with it. This is for Caden and Carlie Kennedy. There is also quite a bit of silliness in it because they are our monkeys after all. Such truth in the verses! Amazing Grace!



 


Amazing grace
How sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me
I once
was lost, but now I'm found
Was blind, but now I see
'Twas grace that
taught my heart to fear
And grace my fears relieved
How precious did that
grace appear
The hour I first believed
My chains are gone
I've been set
free
My God, my Savior has ransomed me
And like a flood His mercy
rains
Unending love, Amazing grace
The Lord has promised good to
me
His word my hope secures
He will my shield and portion be
As long as
life endures


 


My chains are gone
I've been set free
My God, my Savior has ransomed
me
And like a flood His mercy rains
Unending love, Amazing
grace
The earth shall soon dissolve like snow
The sun forbear to
shine
But God, Who called me here below
Will be forever mine
Will be
forever mine
You are forever mine



The coolest thing about this song is it is a spiritual autobiography about the composer who penned the words. It has become one of the greatest Christian anthems today. Truly Amazing Grace! We talked a lot today about the chorus that Chris Tomlin added "My chains are gone, I've been set free. My God, My Savior has ransomed me." Yesterday, we talked a lot about Nicodemus. Jesus told Nicodemus that you must be born again to enter the kingdom of God. (John 3) We talked about the only thing that can wash away our sins...make us whole again...nothing, but the blood of Jesus. I taught the kids that hymn and it was a fun time. We have the opportunity to choose life because God provided a way for us to live forever by sending His only son to pay the penalty for our sins. So back to Carson, we did speak with Carson that night and he is really starting to understand that He needs a Savior. When Dustin asked Him what he wanted to do he told us "Well, maybe." We saw uncertainty. We saw a timid boy not boldly understanding and proclaiming His need for Jesus. We decided to let the Lord continue to speak to His heart. We told him we would be willing to talk with him or answer any questions for him but He would have to tell us when he was ready to make that choice boldly for Jesus. We want more than anything for Carson to choose Jesus, but we cannot do that for him. He has to understand and agree with God submitting His life to Him to receive God's grace. We talked a little more about that today and He told me, "Mom, confessing is the hardest part." Yes, even my 9 year old son gets that. Confessing..agreeing with God that sin is sin and we need a Savior really is the hardest part but oh what freedom comes when he sets our chains free from the bondage of our sin. As parents it is our desire for Carson (and all of our children) to understand God's amazing grace. We long for them to grasp that we are all born in this world lost to sin and the darkness surrounds us. There is nothing we can do to be good enough to earn our way to heaven. Jesus is the way, the truth, the life. We long for our children to listen to the Holy Spirit as He continues to reveal who Jesus is all the while calling them to Himself. We pray that they will hear His voice. We pray they will hear His knocking at the door of their hearts and that they would claim the gift God offers to them of grace through faith. We want more than anything for them to choose Jesus but when we sat with Carson and heard a timid "Well, maybe" we knew that Satan also is warring for his heart. There is still doubt there and maybe just a head knowledge. The good news is God is still working. God is continuing to pursue Carson right now. We are praying that Carson will rise up when God calls his name and that He will boldly surrender all. I will have to tell you that this morning was probably the worst day of homeschool that we have had so far. Distraction and disobedience were abundant as we began our morning. At one point I just had to stop and pray. I could tell that I was getting upset and angry at the way my children were acting and making it so difficult. The Lord really spoke to my heart and quieted me as I cried out to him as we prayed. He told me to not forget they are walking in darkness. (after all it is our memory verse this week John 8:12) He reminded me they are in training and so am I. Why would I be surprised that the days to come will be more difficult? Satan does not like what is going on in our home. Satan does not like to see the lost be drawn to Jesus. I need to expect difficulty, distraction, and disobedience. I need to offer my children the same grace my Heavenly Father offers me and continue to speak truth into them as I seek to help them to recognize and obey the King of Kings. Today as far as the curriculum that we covered was not expansive, but the Lord seems to always redeem the time especially if we surrender our hearts and attitudes to him. Amazing Grace indeed and cake in store today to celebrate Ms.Shala that makes it just a bit sweeter somehow.  


You can also watch the video here on you tube if you are viewing this from a mobile device:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nxOBBvaWcs4


No comments: