Friday, November 15, 2013

Off to Haiti..

Haiti. I am not sure if anything could have prepared my heart for this trip. I know that God was continuing to deepen my relationship with him. I know that He knew we would be serving in Haiti during this week even before the foundations of the earth were laid. Eph 2:10.
A blessing. So many times obedience in walking faithfully wherever the Lord leads us we end up with great fountains of blessing. There is blessing in obedience. This was a time of blessing for us.
Serving alongside of my husband was a joy. Helping him, knowing his needs, anticipating how to plan, and discerning what to do alongside of Him was such a great joy to me. The Lord has given me a gift in administration. I actually like to plan and organize. I know its a bit crazy but I enjoy it. God has given me a joy in humbly serving. This week I got to use both of those gifts and I got to serve with my husband. These two came together this week for me. I have never been able to serve right alongside with my husband as he ministers to patients using medicine. I loved every minute of it. I loved being his helper.
This is Luca. She is one of the four children we sponsor at the Jacmel location. More on meeting our four kids in Haiti in just a bit..
These children. First we went to Grand Goave to see 33 older children there and take care of them. They were funny. They were acting like the couldn't speak some English. They moved the eye chart exam marker and started to memorize the chart and helped each other to get it right like it was a test. They thought this was really funny. The Grand Goave Village had a different feel to it. These children needed privacy. These children had been hurt badly and broken. These children were rescued children. The older girls specifically bonded to Dr. Nina. God knew what He was doing when he orchestrated this team together...perfectly. I saw Dr. Nina needing to be ministered to...I saw these girls that needed to be ministered to....to see God meld their hearts together was a miracle. These girls needed to see hope in a tangible way. They needed to trust someone. They wanted to know someone like them cared. Dr. Nina is from Africa, not Haiti, but they all told her everywhere we went that she was Haitian. Many of the Haitians were brought to Haiti long ago during the African slave trade. I believe they understand that they really are one in the same. We saw guarded children here. We saw children that are living with the stigma of being an "orphan" in Haiti. This is not a good thing for them. They are seen as less. They will always wear the word orphan on their shoulder in their culture. They go to school and interact with other children in the community every day. These children are different. I found myself praying over them that they would truly understand that they are not forgotten, that they would understand how deep and wide and unfathomable the Father's love is for them, that they would find their identity in Him and truly trust Him in all of their fears and disappointments. I began to feel such a heavy burden for them. I began to feel such a heavy burden for this little project in Haiti called the Hands and Feet Project. The Lord has entrusted them with precious lives. Children that He loves. Children that He pursues. Children that He desires to see restoration and redemption in. He has begun a good work here in these children. Phil 1:6 "He who began a good work in you will carry it on until completion until the day of Christ Jesus." The Lord is continuing to work in the hearts of these children, the missionaries serving there, the house moms, cooks, and even security guards. He has not given up on them and neither should I. I can pray. I can give. I can share the hope of Christ with them. I can serve them with the love and gifts that Jesus has given me.

Haiti is such a beautiful country when your eyes can focus on God's creation and not the destruction, filth and poverty.


One of my favorite mornings..walking the GrandGoave kids to school. I loved getting to talk with them, be with them and see all of the people going to different places. The school is about a mile away on a very busy two lane road with a little gravel side that we walked on. The huge trucks would literally vibrate our whole bodies as they zoomed by. This is normal in Haiti. The children usually walk by themselves to and from school.
These are the missionary kids in Jacmel: Ella, Grady and Mika. They were so fun to be with. I found myself stealing moments away to talk and play with them. They have given up so much along with their parents to take care of the 67 children in Jacmel. Missionary kids are so special. They made up all kinds of games. My favorite was "chasing sunshine". They named the yellow butterflies sunshine and would chase them all over the place. There was great joy there. Simple joy. Contentment. I have a few missionary friends with children that are serving all over the world and being in Haiti really made me understand how they are different, how they sacrifice daily, and how they in many ways they have a much better pace of life than us busy Americans. I found myself longing to bring my children here to play with the missionary kids and to interact with our kids we sponsor in Jacmel. At times I could totally see my children out and about exploring just like these missionary kids.
Just a funny picture of the team on day one all loaded up in a SMALL van to travel two hours from the airport to the Grand Goave location.

One of the girls in Grand Goave made Brianna and I hair pretties by putting green thistles in our hair. Michelle told me not to wear it to church because the locals will think I had bugs in my hair.

This is Naidine. She is one of the girls we sponsor at the Jacmel location. She is shy but precious. I adore her smile and sweet heart.
All the girls and Andrea too!


One of my favorite things at the Grand Goave location was to see the scripture on the walls. I also loved the early morning and late evening with free time to spend with the Lord. Lisa snapped this of me when I didn't know she was up and about.


The boys. This is Darbens. They don't say the "r" in Haiti so it is really Da..bens. He is special. So special. I got to spend a little bit of time with each of the kids that we sponsor. We sponsor 4 in the Jacmel location: Wadley, Darbens, Luca & Naidine. When I had a few moments I would go and find them and see what they were up to. This day I got to sit with Darbens and love on him. I tickled him and snuggled him and prayed over him. Darbens can't walk. His feet will never hold him to walk but I believe the Lord has great plans for this little boy. I was able to find out a little of where He came from and my heart is just broken that he was an unwanted child. A child not treasured. Oh this time with him was a treasure to me. His smile is pure joy. His laugh..oh my, I wish I had recorded him laughing...precious, just precious. I found Luca first and knew that she might be the most talkative with me because she was with Dustin the when He was there in January. She was a little confused at first. They all understand the idea of sponsors. They understand that people sponsor them. This was strange for me. I wondered, "What do they think of this." How do you explain that to a child? The older children at the Jacmel location speak English also and so talking with Luca was much easier than I ever imagined it would be. When she finally understood who I was..she smiled and looked at me like she couldn't believe I was there. She helped me a little to round up kids or tell the younger kids what they needed to be doing and then she took off to play with the girls. I did get some alone time with her where I was able to talk with her more. She wanted to look at the pictures on my phone. Yes, they know about iphones too..she wanted to see my videos of Abby, Claire, Carson & Andrew. She got to see pictures of herself, Naidine, Wadley & Darbens on my phone too. She loved to see pictures of the kids. We had sent her some things with all of our pictures on them and she recognized our kids. It was fun to see her smile at funny ones and ask questions. Naidine loved this too. Looking at pictures. She was really good at telling me which picture was Carson and Andrew and who was Abby and Claire. Naidine. I would know her face anywhere and I just happened to be rounding up a few children one day and saw her come around the corner. I saw her and I knew her. She looked at me and I said "Hi Naidine." She stopped and looked harder. I really think she recognized me and knew who I was. Dustin had told me how shy she was and so I really was thinking just to give her space this trip but she was so different with me. She followed me and wanted to talk and see pictures. She wanted me to sit with her at worship on Wednesday night. Luca and Naidine found Dustin and I on Thursday night on the porch and we got to spend more time with them. They loved videos of our kids on our phone. Dustin showed them a video of Claire and Abby sliding down the driveway in the snow. I found myself explaining to them about snow...they have never seen snow. It was a precious time to be with the girls we sponsor. I don't think they are really close. Luca seems to be social and fit in well with a group of girls where as Naidine is quiet and by herself a lot. I really liked seeing them seeking us out together. The sadest part for me was telling them we had to leave. There was a cloud that came over them both. A sadness. I told them one on one and they both immediately asked, "When will you be back?" I told them that Lord willing I would be back in April. April is a long ways away for an 8 year old. I know that this has got to be so difficult for them. They have teams of people coming and going and staying a week at a time. They come and then they go. They always go. Some may come back but not always. I really hated that part of the trip. I hated knowing that a couple of days loving and investing in these kids was not enough. Below is Wadley. There is a special place in my heart for this little boy. I went to get Wadley for his checkup with Dustin and I wasn't sure what all I was going to say to him. He is just 4. How on earth can a 4 year old child comprehend that this is the first time I have seen him but I love him already and have been praying for him daily? I just took his hand, introduced myself and took him to get weighed. He was quiet. He seemed to be deep in thought. I was able to talk with him a little but he really didn't know English very well. So we just played until it was time to take him to see Dustin. That night was Wednesday night and the kids have a praise and worship time together. We were invited to come along and I had told Luca and Naidine that we would look for them. The older girls found out that we sponsored Wadley too and they went up and got him and brought him over to me. They kept telling him "Wadley, this is your sponsor." He was quiet. Then he looked at me, smiled and crawled up into my lap. Another little boy saw this and took the opportunity to crawl into Dustin's lap. I held Wadley for a little while as they sang and then told him he could sit next to me. He did not want out of my arms. He grabbed my neck and held onto me like I have never had a child hold onto me. I just held him and rocked him as they sang and praised the Lord. He sang a little but mostly he was quiet as we snuggled. This was a gift. This was priceless for me. He was letting me love him. He needed to be loved. He needed to connect with me. I could feel that. I could feel some brokenness there. I don't know his story. I don't know his fears or disappointments but I do know that the Lord has perfectly woven this little boy into our story. Luca and Naidine were telling me that our group needed to go and sing...they wanted us to sing...so I took Wadley with me back to the back and saw that Darbens was fast asleep with his house mom. I talked to the group and we all went up to sing. I talked Wadley into holding my hand if he wanted to come with us. We sang a couple of songs and the kids sang along. It was a fun time. We went back to sit down and they sang more. Wadley again wanted in my arms and another little boy snuggled up on my left and soon fell asleep against me. As I looked around I saw such a sweetness in worship from these children. Many of them were singing their little hearts out. Luca was singing and dancing. Naidine was more reserved but she was singing as they sat right in front of us. For a moment I really couldn't believe I was there sitting with my husband in Haiti holding Wadley with Luca and Naidine looking back at us and smiling as they sang praises to the Lord. Unbelievable really. God's goodness is unbelievable. He knows the desires of my heart even before I do. This was such a gift to me.  And finally it was over and ended. The children went back with their house moms to their apartments for the night. The next morning I got up early to spend time with the Lord and sit on the porch. I loved seeing the little kids get in the van to go to school. My heart just leaped as I saw Wadley coming around the corner to get on the bus. He saw me and came over to give me a hug. I told him, "Good Morning Little Man. Have a great day at school. God loves you and so do I." What a great way to start the day!

 
This guy. I am so thankful I get to do life with my very own superman. He is not perfect. I am not perfect but we seek to be full of forgiveness and grace. We seek to serve the Lord together as one and let me tell you... it is a GREAT adventure!
Naidine took a picture with me. She had such a serious face.
Brianna and I in our headbands.

Yep, the Grand Goave kids here sneaking a peak into the clinic. They have also moved the stand up on the eye exam. Oh but wait...they are memorizing the chart too so they can pass the test when it is their turn!
The perfect team. Perfect is a strong word. Perfect is the most fitting word for this team of believers that the Lord so perfectly orchestrated and lined up together to go and serve together with us in Haiti for the first trip. We needed some doctors. Dust, of course, Dr. Nina Lum, Dr. Amanda Ramey and almost Dr. Tyler Elam were in! With Tyler came his new wife Brianna who is a labor and delivery nurse. That is where we began. A team of 6. We needed nurses and lay people. We began to pray and the Lord opened our eyes to look outside of Kentucky. I asked my good friend Lori in Oklahoma if she would pray. I love her servants heart. I asked my good friend Kari if she would pray. I knew that Kari had a son that was interested in medicine and thought this might be a great trip for him too. Kari and Zach were in! A team of 8. I asked Kari if she might happen to know any nurses... We really needed one to two more and all of the ones we knew in Kentucky had maxed our on vacation time and were unable to join us. She asked me if I knew Lisa Martin from First Baptist Claremore. (Our Pastor and friend Ted Kersh had been at that church) I didn't know her. Kari gave me her number to call her. I called Lisa and knew immediately she was willing. She was quiet and listening to me talk and she finally said, "Yes, I can go." A team of 9. I sent Lisa all the information and she asked me the next day or so if we might happen to need another nurse...seriously? Yes! She had been telling her daughter about the opportunity and she was really wanting to join us. Yes! Go God! A team of 10. 1 day left to finalize plans and Lori calls. She is in! A team of 12! A Team with members from  Kentucky, Oklahoma and Colorado. A team with two people we have never even met! All I can say is this worked out perfectly. Unfortunately Dr. Ramey had some very serious back issues the week we were leaving and was unable to join us but God still provided in Tyler stepping up and taking over her role. God knew there would be 11 team members. He chose them so perfectly. I was so thankful for this group. I was so honored to be serving together with them. I was so blessed by the way they interacted with one another and took care of each other. I was so proud of them like a mother hen as I saw them grow this week. I saw them mature and seek out time with the Lord. I saw them be vulnerable and share hard things. I saw them get down in the muck and serve and love when at times it was hard to do so. We spent many nights together taking about God's word, His plans, and sharing what we were learning. The sweetest part for me was worshiping in song with these precious team members. Kari and Zach led us and did a great job. There is something special about pure surrender in song to the King of Kings. On the last night we prayed earnestly over a team member that had a great longing in her life. We all laid hands on her and just prayed, and then prayed some more. We were the body of Christ that week. One unit. We may have been from different states, different churches, even different denominations but we all served under the same Shepherd. He brought us together in completeness. Together for one purpose serving for His glory. God is the man with the plan. He knew exactly what He was doing weaving this perfect team together. I am so thankful He let us be a part of this great team of believers. James 1:27 Message "Anyone who sets himself up as “religious” by talking a good game is self-deceived. This kind of religion is hot air and only hot air. Real religion, the kind that passes muster before God the Father, is this: Reach out to the homeless and loveless in their plight, and guard against corruption from the godless world"

Running to get on the "bus" to go to school!

How cute is that? I love this picture!
This is the 3 year olds in class during the day at the Children's Village in Jacmel.

Coming Home. Leaving Haiti was hard. I know that may sound strange. My week was filled with cold showers, spotty electricity and air conditioning, bugs, little sleep, and an upset tummy due to the Haitian cuisine. These are all just comfort things. I realized I really don't need those things to have joy. My joy in Haiti in walking obediently with the Lord and in doing what He had called me to do far out weighed any minor inconveniences that I really take for granted every day any way. The good in Haiti and what God is doing at the Hands and Feet Project was hard to leave. I had four wonderful children to come home to but a part of my heart was longing to stay in Haiti. The pace is really just a different world there. There are so many less distractions. No Tv. No internet. No phone access. I really didn't look at my watch much at all. We just worked hard and when we heard the bell we knew it was time to eat. There was lots of time to reflect and spend with the Lord. One of the things the Lord really opened my eyes to the week we were there is the great responsibility that He has given the Hands and Feet Project. I can't help but chuckle as I think maybe oh how this little band was thinking one night about starting this little project never knowing what HUGE plans the Lord had in store. They now have a total of 97 children. They have basically adopted these children into their 2 villages to care for them forever. That is what God does for us. We are adopted into His family forever. What a great picture of God's love and grace on display. I felt the weight of that responsibility as we have helped to establish and continue medical care for these kids. There is great responsibility there. God has great plans and purposes for these children. He alone is worthy! I am so thankful He chose us and equipped us to serve alongside the Hands and Feet Project this week. A piece of my heart will forever be in Haiti now. God knew that it belonged there all along.

We got home and came home to a room decorated by our little blessings!




 It was good to be home. We could not have done it without these great peeps: Mimi & Papa! They held down the fort and took super great care of our kids so we could go and serve the kids in Haiti. So, So thankful for them and their sacrifice to enable us to go and obey where the Lord is leading us. They are the best Mimi & Papa and these kids know it!



No comments: