Monday, March 3, 2014

A New Car


Well, if you had told me last week we would be trading our 2003 Suburban in I would have laughed...sometimes I just marvel at how the Lord puts things together so perfectly. Our beloved burb, Mr. Mervyn, was about to hit 150,000 miles and had started to act up quite a bit. We weren't sure what was going on but the engine started to rev alot in the winter and died on us a time or two. We bought the burb right before Abigail was born so we have had it almost 5 years now and have really loved that vehicle. It has grown with us as our family has grown. It had been a great car. We got a pre-approval notice via email on a great financing opportunity from our home bank USAA and we began to pray and look around. Maybe now was a good time to trade Mr. Mervyn in...we started looking at just replacing it with a newer model burb. Before we went to the aquarium in Newport we drove to see a 2008 Suburban with 73,000 miles that was just basic except it has leather seats. We liked the vehicle. There was really nothing special about it. We talked to them a little about a price difference but they were unwilling to negotiate. When we came home that night we talked about why we needed to replace with a burb only. I really liked the cargo space for one. The huge back trunk area was awesome. I really didn't like the mpg..it was a gas drinker for sure. That night we looked at the best rated minivans and found that the Honda Odyssey was a top rated one so we decided to do a search on used ones in our area. We found one that peaked our interest and was a really great price. I emailed the internet sales department and heard back almost immediately. The next morning I told her that my husband was working all weekend and we would like to make an appointment on Monday to come look at it. She honestly told me that they had just lowered the price that morning another $1,000 and that a couple from Kentucky was coming that evening. She told me just to make sure we called before we headed that way because she had had so many calls on this van. I realize that this could have been used as a sales gimmick but I believed what she said...this van would not last long. It was a 2010 with 27,000 miles. The only thing it didn't have was a navigation system which I didn't need anyway. They had dropped the price to $22,900. I had many things to do that morning to prepare for a women's small group bible study I am leading in my home on Thursday nights but the Lord has been teaching me that sometimes I need to lay aside my plans so I can be a part of His plans for the day. What were His plans? Dustin was working all day and had a full day scheduled of clinic. He told me that I should go and look at the car....so, we got dressed loaded up and drove to Huntington, West Virginia (only the second time we have been there. It is about 1 hr and 15 min away)...we drove to Moses Honda...I could not make this stuff up...yes, Moses Honda. We stopped at McDonald's for lunch and then headed to the dealership. We walked into meet Rebekah, the internet sales manager, who introduced us to Joe. Joe took us to see the van. I turned the van on and it was on the Christian Radio Station! I asked him if they turned all of their cars on the same station...I told him the radio station was playing Christian music. He asked me, "Is that a good thing?" Well, for me.. Yes! My major concern was luggage/cargo space in a minivan so I brought our two largest suitcases and our ice chest with me. I was so pleasantly surprised to find that there was a lot of space back there! The kids were immediately in love...sliding back doors...oh, my! Abby loved that the car sparkled. We took it for a drive and by the time we got back I had an utter peace knowing that this was indeed the car the Lord had instore for us. A car I hadn't even been looking for! A lady that owned a funeral home had bought it new..she buys the same van new and trades it in around 30,000 miles....it just so happened the van had been sitting on the lot 45 days and they were ready to move it. They were ready to make a great deal. I talked to Dustin and he agreed it was a great choice for us. We walked back into the dealer and the financing officer greeted us and showed us to the lobby and play area! They had a play area for kids! This to me was like finding a pot of gold at the end of the tunnel. They cared enough about their customers to have an area to relax and play too! All I can say is that I could not have bought this car by myself with four children under the age of 9...spending about 3.5 hours there to wrap it all up...without the well thought out plans of this area...you know what else? My heavenly father knew that too! My kids were rock stars that day...everyone was so amazed at how well they played and were content for so very long, myself included! I was so proud of them. Abby told me, "Momma, I really couldn't have been here so long without the help of those toys." They were rewarded with big hugs, lots of complements, ice cream and play time again at McDonald's. We drove home that day so very thankful for God's provision once again. I never thought I would be driving a minivan but all I can say is I am so thankful for the great blessing that it is. I am thankful for a loving God that leads us and guides us and blesses us time and time again. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variation or shadow of turning. -James 1:17
P.S. And I guess it would only be fitting that we move to Kentucky and buy a blue car...seriously!

1 comment:

2mamadoc said...

Minivans rock! They make travel with kids so much easier, and everything is just so terribly convenient. And your Ody ought to give you far more than 150,000 miles if you take care of it. Plus, if you take out the middle row and fold down the back row, you can fit a whole sheet of plywood back there!