Tuesday, March 4, 2014

This storm has been a brewing...Self-Control

Idolatry, in the case of food, means the consumption of ill-sized portions and unhealthy choices because we feel like we deserve it or need it to feel better. We are to flee the control food can have over our lives. I am not on a diet I am on a jouney with Jesus to learn the fine art of self-discipline, self-control for the purpose of holiness. -Lysa Terkeurst from her book Made to Crave: Satisfying your deepest desire with God, not Food


This is the storm. It has been brewing in my heart for awhile now. A long time. I have been avoiding it again. I love food. I think about food. I reward myself with food. I find joy in eating food that is just not good for me. This joy does not last and instead leaves me with regret and bondage. Bondage means the state of being a slave to some external power or control. I do not want food to have control over my life. That control is the enemy. He wants me to satisfy myself with temporary things that will not last. He wants me to find joy in anything other than the Lord. He wants to control me in any way he possibly can. Here's the thing. I am learning because I am redeemed and have a relationship with Jesus, I have the gifts of the Holy Spirit living in me. The fruit of the Spirit that is so ready to grow and flourish: love, joy, peace, long suffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Did you catch that? I have the fruit of self-control in me that is a gift from my Heavenly Father that I can use, develop and grow in my relationship with Him. It is a tool I can use to fight the enemy that loves to war against me whenever He can. "You say, "I am allowed to do anything"--but not everything is good for you. You say, "I am allowed to do anything"--but not everything is beneficial." 1 Corinthians 10:23 Letting food have control over me is not in any way beneficial to me. It is idolatry for me. It is a way that I choose something else to replace God in my life. I recognize that. I surrender that to Him. I am so thankful I serve a most gracious and patient God who continues to pursue me, guide me and keep me always within His very best for my life. He alone is worthy! My only thought today in sharing this storm and struggle in my life with you is that perhaps you too might find yourself in this storm today. Maybe you didn't even realize the power it has over you...I want you to know you were made for more. I want you to know that God can fill all of your empty places and He desires to be your all in all. I am praying Ephesians 1:17-20 over you today. "I keep asking the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better. I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and his incomparably great power for us who believe. That power is like the working of his mighty strength, which he exerted in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly realms." This storm does not have to engulf you. This storm will not engulf me because I have the power of Christ in me whom has given me everything I need to fight the enemy who still rages for my heart...for my joy. I have the gift of self-control and I am learning there is great victory and joy in denying myself and fully surrendering to Him..in all things. "For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight." Ephesians 1:4

1 comment:

Ninot said...

preach it! encouraging piece