Monday, May 13, 2013

Ministry in Medicine

I do not write very often about our ministry in medicine and I have been really praying about sharing this. The Lord keeps reminding me as if I need to write it to remember it. So this is for my family. A story to remember why the Lord has called us into medicine and ministry. A story to see His hand as He has led us to Morehead, KY and how He is using my husband in medicine here. The Thursday before we met with a lady here in Morehead that runs the Hope Pregnancy Crisis Center. I find it so interesting sometimes God's timing. We met with Suzanne and got to hear about what the Lord was doing as they have been helping young women to hear about choices for life. They have been active in the community to educate, mentor, disciple and pray over many women who have found out they were expecting a baby sometimes in very hard situations. On Thursday we rejoiced to hear what all was being done through Hope to proclaim God's word and His value on life... on babies... on mother's... on families. That Friday night Dustin worked at the hospital. He texted me early Saturday morning saying "Please pray. It has been a very rough morning. I need you to pray." I had been up on and off during the night praying for him. It is hard for me to sleep when I know that He is working and sometimes I am awakened up to pray. So I prayed. I continued to pray that morning and when He came home later that day I knew something had happened. Something that had really shaken him. Sometimes I cannot hear all of the details of the lives and situations he is involved in with medicine because it is simply too much for me. It shakes me and I find myself grieving and praying for these families. I find myself having fear at times for my own family. I saw his face and knew this was something he would have to share with me. He would need to release it. I told him when he was ready I would be ready to listen. Later that day he was ready. It was so very hard for him to share. A mom came in to the hospital in preterm labor...about 27 weeks. It was a young couple. First baby.The delivery went well but when the baby came out they saw it had severe malformations. The baby did well at first and my husband was able to talk with the young couple and pray with them. The couple was counseled by their minister and their parents to end the suffering of the baby and terminate its support to help it survive. They decided to do as they were counseled. The issue was they didn't even know the extent of the issues with this baby. They didn't know the hope that this baby could have and they didn't value its life enough to fight for it. They didn't understand as my husband fought for this child armed with God's word that it was fearfully and wonderfully made. That God had plan and purpose for this child. My husband was grieved. He was counseling this hurting young couple and praying that they would not give up on this baby. The couple signed the papers and my husband had to withdrawl support for the baby. The baby died within moments. Ministry. My husband continued to love them and pray for them. Heartbroken. Completely heartbroken that they could let Satan destroy. They said they didn't have money. They didn't have the means to help the baby. They didn't want it to suffer. Lies. I believe they were lies from the devil to destroy life at all costs. God always provides. They had no idea that the child was suffering in any way. I believe that Satan got a huge foothold that day in their lives and in their marriage. I pray that the Lord will protect them and that they will seek restoration in Him alone. Later that morning they told my husband that they really appreciated him and that even before they came to the hospital they were going to name the child Dustin if it was a boy. The couple thought it was so neat that he happened to be taking care of them and his name too was Dustin. My husband was shaken. This precious child. The Lord orchestrated it all. He placed this couple in his care intentionally. He tried so hard to speak God's truth to them and minister to them to choose life. He fought, pleaded and prayed for this child. The Lord gave the name Dustin to this couple specifically for this child. Dustin is my husband's name. It was a very hard day in my husband's ministry of medicine. God is continuing to show himself and use my husband to share His love and His truth. Oh how I wish that young couple had chosen life. Oh how I wish they had not been fooled to believe a lie. The good news is. God is still working. God is still calling people, couples, families to himself. The Good news is God is continuing to use my husband even in the hard and ugly parts of medicine. He alone is worthy! May we continue to walk boldly where He leads. May we continue to proclaim His grace, truth and faithfulness in the works he has called us to. Ephesians 2:10 "For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them."

No comments: