Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Our Homeschooling Adventure is well on its way....

We have been praying and researching about homeschooling our children. We will be confidently embarking on this new adventure starting in June. Andrew was so excited he wants to start May 16...the day after they get out of school here in Kentucky. Here is our new name and mission. We voted on mascots and let me tell you that was a hard one...the suggestions were: lions, owls, peacocks, elephants, eagles and flying squirrels. (Personally, the flying squirrels sounded so fun. That was Andrews suggestion)...but after much debate we are going to be the Trail Blazers which seems very fitting.

Our Mission is to train our children to “grow in wisdom and stature and in favor with God and with men” Luke 2:52; teaching a biblical worldview to use as their map through life. A map drawn by the architect of the world who made them in His image. Our desire is to “hunger and thirst after righteousness,” Matthew 5:6, and “whether we eat or drink, in all things that we give glory to God.” 1 Corinthians 10:31. We know that “by Him all things were created..all things have been created through Him and for Him,” Colossians 1:15-16. In knowing this truth we are called to teach and train our children to be seekers of God’s truth by intentional academic and spiritual discipleship through this academy. Our prayer is that our children may always continue to be treasure seekers of God’s truth, wisdom and knowledge. We pray they may understand and fully embrace that we are continually in training, being molded into His image here on this earth.
 
Treasure Seekers of Truth in Training
"In Christ are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge." Colossians 2:3
 
It is definitely a new season in our life. I never thought the Lord would call me to homeschool my children but I can say that as I have surrendered to this new plan that He desires for our family we are getting more and more excited to see all the benefits of it. Surrender. Yes, and lots of it. When I think of the responsibility of academically schooling our children fulltime to prepare them for college it really overwhelms me. When I think of losing a bit of my freedom as a stay at home Mom (nap time is such a great quiet time for me right now) it makes me feel a little sad. But what the Lord has been speaking to my heart is that He is enough. He will supply all my needs. He will be right beside us every step of the way. He will equip us to do all that He has called us to do.

I am learning about all of the wonderful Christian curriculum out there for families to use. I think we have decided on My Father's World. www.mfwbooks.com . It seems to fit our mission the best in that it teaches children to see the world from God's eyes and live according to that knowledge. It also is a format that can be used like a one room school room of teaching history and literature. The boys will be learning the same overall themes but will have different levels of skilled math, science and phonics. We will use the Pre-K material for Abigail starting in June too. We have decided it will be best to homeschool all year long. I love this approach to help structure our days and help stimulate lifelong learning. I am seeing how the Lord is giving us much flexibility in our schedule by doing this to be available to go where He might send us in short mission trips in the coming years. (We are currently praying about a fall trip back to Haiti to start the medical care for the children at the two HAF orphanages this year. We would like to see two big trips coordinated every 6 months and a nurse led small team every 6 months as well for a total of 1 trip a quarter or 4 trips a year just for medical needs.) I really love how this year long of learning approach will enable us to be able to go and see family also when we need to or desire to and not based on a formal public school break schedule. That is exciting to me! I have met a lady in the community that actually runs the HOPE pregnancy center here in Morehead that is a member of the Christian Homeschool Community that we will join. They have about 30 families and meet on Mondays at the library for discussion and activities. Monday afternoons they move to the Methodist Church for PE. We are excited that there is a large group here and they have been very welcoming and informative during our exploration process. I am not sure that homeschooling is for everyone but I do know that the Lord wants what is best for our family during our season in Morehead and that He has led us to homeschooling our children. I am excited to see how it all plays out and how much I learn in the process. Andrew, our funny child, told me "Well, Mom....you have a lot to learn before June." Why yes, I do. I am so thankful that the Lord is continuing to stretch me to have a teachable heart in all things. Well the Cupp Crew is a blazing a new trail here in Kentucky and the T3 Academy is going to be a good, good thing.

As a side note...If you have been praying about homeschooling or have questions about why believers might choose it, I would like to suggest the purchase of a book my sister-in-law bought me about 8 years ago that I just picked up to actually read about a month ago. It is very good. The Heart of Home Schooling: Teaching and Living what really matters by Christopher Klicka. My prayer is that whatever avenue you choose academically for your children you will grasp and truly understand that as believers and followers of Jesus Christ we are called to homeschool our children spiritually all of the time. Deuteronomy 6:6-9 It is our responsibility as parents to disciple our children.
 What a great honor that is!
Behold, Children are a gift from the Lord,
The fruit of the womb is a reward.
Like arrows in the hand of a warrior,
So are the children of one's youth.
How blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them;
They will not be ashamed when they speak with their enemies in the gate.
-Psalm 127:3-5   

1 comment:

KMT said...

Excited for you to branch out on this adventure! And love your "best for our family" approach! I am currently mulling over what will be best for our little family. Looking forward to reading about your adventure!