Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Praying for Jenna

Yesterday the kids and I were out in the backyard playing when we heard the screeching of tires, but no crash. No big bang like is normally heard when two cars collide. The road we live on is a really busy road. It is just a two lane road but many drivers choose to instead of going down main street and in an effort to miss all of the traffic and lights many people take our road to get to Little. When we first moved in my neighbor Lois in first meeting her didn't tell me her name or say hello she said, "This street here is a busy street please keep your children away from it." I thought at the time that was quite strange. She later told me her name and then told me to keep my kids out of her pond because it too was dangerous and she was on her way. I have come to love this lady and understand her concern. She lost her grandson in a car accident and had seen many animals killed on this road. I also got the opportunity to pray with her after some intruders tried to break in her home. Grandstaff is a busy road. I have always cautioned my boys to stay back. We actually have a line in the concrete where it breaks that they are not to go past. Sometimes they think I am unreasonable but I am trying to protect them. Last week as they were playing basketball in the morning before the bus came one of their balls rolled out into the street only to be run over by a school bus a moment later. I was standing by the window when Andrew came in crying about the ball. I got to talk with them and comfort them but remind them that all of these things of this world are all temporary. Everything we have does not last. Only one thing lasts. Only one thing remains. God. God's love. God's faithfulness. Their relationship with God. Psalm 100:5 says "For the Lord is good and his love endures forever;
    his faithfulness continues through all generations." I encouraged them and thanked them for obeying and not chasing after the ball in the road. That would have been really bad. I told them I was proud of them for not going in the street and that I was so sorry the ball got ran over but I was so thankful they were safe. So yesterday, we heard the screeching outside. When we came into the house I heard a helicopter like it was on top of my home and I looked out and it was! A Life flight helicopter had just landed in the front yard across from us. Just two houses down I could see an ambulance and fire truck. The kids and I walked outside and one of my neighbors came over to tell me what had happened. She had been the one to call 911. A little 6 year old girl on her bike had decided to cross the busy road and get the mail. She was hit by a truck. Devastated. Broken for that family. I looked at my children and we held hands and prayed for her. We prayed the Lord would miraculously protect her and heal her. We prayed for her family that the Lord would bring them closer to Him and give them peace. We prayed for the driver that he would not be in bondage over guilt but have peace and the hope of Christ. My other neighbor came a little later and shared that she was out in her front yard and heard it just thinking the truck had hit a dog, until she saw the bicycle fly in the air. She was the first to help. She was crying. We were both crying. So sad. She said she felt so helpless. There was blood everywhere and the truck had completely run over her. We continued to pray. I sent out a message to some prayer warriors to pray for this little girl. I found out that the driver was a friend of ours and continued to pray for him. His son was with him at the time. Such brokenness. What Satan intends for evil God means for Good. This was our devotional this morning. We found out the girls name was Jenna. We found out about 3:30am this morning from a post from Jenna's mom that Jenna was stable with two broken legs and two fractured pelvises but no brain damage. God protected Jenna. Got protected the driver of the truck and his family. Miraculously. I am so thankful for that. I am thankful she is alive and that what Satan intended for evil, God can work such good in. I saw it in my driveway. I was able to teach my children again about obedience. I don't know for sure if Jenna's mom and dad had warned her to stay away from the street but I asked the kids if they thought she knew better. I asked if she had made a good choice. I explained again that Mommy and Daddy want to protect them from harm just like God does. It could have happened to anyone. It could have been my children last week chasing after a basketball...but I am thankful for the opportunity to teach them once more about the importance of obedience. The importance of listening, stopping, thinking, and making the best choice. Last week in my quiet time I wrote in my journal. We are required as followers to hear His word and do his will. James 1:22 says "Be doers, not hearers only." Obedience is not an automatic response. It must be learned and conversely we must teach it to our children. Jenna was really hurt and her Mommy, Daddy and God did not want that for her. God wants the best for us. I am thankful that the Lord is working even now to bring Jenna's family closer to Him and comfort the family that was driving the truck. I am thankful for Romans 8:28 that tells us He will work all things out for His glory for those that love the Lord. As I think about our time in Cushing it has been very sad to me to see all of the brokenness. I am not sure why you see it so much clearer in a small town. I have seen mothers lose children, children lose mothers, families broken by divorce, broken by sickness and death and teen girls having children. The Lord has really opened my eyes spiritually to see the brokenness and His heart for them. He has given me a longing to intercede for them, serve them, love them and share the hope of Christ with them. We live in a broken world that needs a Savior. I am so thankful He continues to work to draw people to himself. I am so thankful for his provision yesterday for a little girl that lives just three houses down. Last night as I got the boys into bed Andrew asked "Mom, can we pray for Jenna again but this time please don't cry." How on earth can you just not cry over such things? This morning when I was able to share with the kids the good news that Jenna was going to be having surgery this morning to fix her legs and pelvises but the Lord had protected her mightily Abby said very matter of fact "Well, now she just needs a new bike." I hadn't even thought about it. Maybe the Lord will give us opportunity to continue to encourage, pray for Jenna and perhaps get her a new bike that she may be able to one day ride again. Truly what an awesome God we serve! Working in all. Bringing good and glory to Himself.

No comments: