Sunday, November 18, 2012

When are you moving?

Time is getting closer. The questions have been coming, "When are you moving?" I have been doing really good with answering that "we are continuing to wait on the Lord to sell our home so we just don't really know yet" but the Lord has been working in my heart. He has been graciously teaching me that He is in control and I don't need anything other than His word that He has already directed us in. This morning as we listened to Dr. Ted Kersh preach from Judges 6 on the Fallacy of the Fleece I knew that the Lord was continuing to remind me. In Judges 6:16 God had told Gideon, "Surely I will be with you and you shall defeat the midianites as one man." But Gideon wanted reassurance. I find myself wanting reassurance even though the Lord has so boldly told us what we are to do. The final piece is the sell of our home. Why should us being obedient and making plans to be in Kentucky hinge on the sell of our home in Cushing? Why do we always feel like God's word is not enough? I find myself looking at my heart this morning and thankful for this message of truth. One of the points of the sermon was Looking for signs (Like putting the Fleece Out) will cause you to live in doubt instead of in confidence. If I am honest I am the one who has been faithfully praying that the Lord will sell our home so that we can go to serve Him in Kentucky. Financially, yes, that is a great goal. Sell the home here so we can purchase a home there. God just spoiled us last time by bringing the buyers to our home with the for sale by owner sign out in the yard just two hours. It has been 47 days this time. I am trusting the Lord but I wonder this morning am I putting the sell of our home out like Gideon put out the fleece to once again confirm to Him what the Lord was going to do. In doing that I have had doubt. Doubt in God's timing and what that looks like. Here is what the Lord spoke to my heart today: Even if I don't sell your home by January, will you still believe what I have spoken to you and shown you in my word and are you willing to plan accordingly and obey? John 10:10 Jesus said "I have come that you might have life and have it abundantly." Abundant means life so good that whatever you walk through you walk with confidence. So, has the sell of our home been a fleece for me. I think so. My obedience to Him should not hinge on the sell of my home but in my trust in His faithfulness and love for me and my family. We trust Him that He will sell the home in His timing but that may not be by January. It makes me think of a friend I have been faithfully praying for. Her and her husband followed the Lord's leading to serve at a church in Ada this spring and packed up and put their house here in Cushing on the market and rented a home in Ada to begin serving. I have been praying with them for 6 months for the sell of their home. They are hoping to have a contract this month and now working with a buyer, but it has been 6 months. The Lord did not miraculously sell their home in 2 hours or 2 weeks but they have waited now 6 months. They have encouraged me as we draw closer to our time to be in Kentucky of an example of faithful followers. They heard God's call and obeyed Him. They packed up their home here in Cushing and the Lord provided a temporary place until the sell of the home in Cushing is completed. They packed up, prepared to and moved with His direction even without the sell of a home. I look at this today and think Lord, I don't want to rent. I don't want to have two house payments. I don't want to move twice. But that is me, my selfishness speaking. That is what I would like. My simple mind who doesn't understand the master plan. I am thankful my heavenly father does. Today, my heart is getting closer to be ready to plan, to obey even if my fleece, my home does not sell when I would like to see it sell by. I shouldn't need another sign. I don't want to doubt the Lord. I want to have confidence in His word and His plans for us and if I need to set aside the fleece then that's just what I need to do. In my journal this week I wrote: servant living or placing oneself under the authority and Lordship of Jesus Christ is a lifestyle of obedience to His word. Pastor Ted said Gideon didn't need a sign in addition to God's word. God told Him he would deliver. If we are looking for signs it can make us followers of signs rather than God. I will choose to follow God. I will choose to trust Him because He alone is worthy! I am thankful for the Lord and Him graciously continuing to teach me as he draws me closer to Him. So maybe soon I will have an answer to when we are moving as we search out obeying Him to be ready to serve him in Morehead, Ky in January.

No comments: